Priscilla Morrison Receives Lifetime Achievement Award
Priscilla Morrison Receives Lifetime Achievement Award at the Building a Dream benefit gala at The Boston Park Plaza Hotel on May 23, 2013.
Park Plaza Hotel, Boston, MA
Below is Priscilla's Acceptance Speech:
Friends and Family of the Charles River Center Community:
I started at Charles River in 1964 under the direction of Earle Mountain.
I have had the opportunity to try many different things on many occasions.
I’m proud of everything I’ve accomplished but especially that:
- I finished 4 years of high school in 7 months and I got my GED.
- I lived in my own apartment for 10 years. One time I saved a person by pressing my medical alert button to get help.
- I worked in the Financial Aid Department at Babson College for 15 years. I did filing, mailings and worked on the computer. Sometimes, we went out to a pub after work. That was the first time my friends saw me drink beer through a straw! I've moved on and my drink of choice is now rum and coke.
- I've traveled to many great places--Florida, Bermuda, Cape Cod and Las Vegas. In Las Vegas, I won $20!
- I helped write two books. For one, I wrote a chapter with a doctor from Children's Hospital. The other book just came out in November 2012. In that book, I told the story of my life--what it is like living with a disability.
Thank you very much for this honor tonight. I would like everyone to remember that a person who is disabled can still choose to do many wonderful and interesting things in his or her life.